Old February 20th 04, 03:26 PM
Gordon D. Pusch

Default Lunar Lava Tubes via Clementine

(Bill Bogen) writes:

Thomas Billings wrote in message
(Bill Bogen) wrote:

If not, did anyone ever begin a
_manual_ search of the 620,000 high-resolution visible-light
Clementine images?

We looked at this, and looked at our local support group, and quailed!

Why? Isn't the human eye&brain a wonderful pattern recognition
device? Maybe I'm being naive here but I'd set up the project this
way: 10 people each sitting in front of a PC for about 2 hours a day.
Display an image. The person decides whether it is a possible
lavatube and flags it with a keystroke. Since the vast bulk of
pictures will be rejects, I'd expect an average rate of about 1
sec/image. We'd be done in 9 days. Let's triple that and let each
image be seen by 3 people; we'd rank each image by consensus. Let's
pay each person $10/hr: labor cost = $5,167. Even adding costs for
software to present the images and record flags, project management,
etc, this still seems pretty cheap.

Oregon L-5 has some experience in NASA grants, doesn't it? Would this
be an unreasonable grant proposal?

Yes --- It's =FAR= too cheap a proposal to ever be accepted by NASA! :-/
You'll need to first raise the project cost by several orders of magnitude,
and find some way to distribute the project over several NASA Centers,
before it has even a small _chance_ of being approved !!! :-I

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'