Old July 30th 05, 06:13 AM
Henry Spencer

Lins wrote:
...So basically he's in orbit above Jupiter,or thereabouts,for
at least 5 seconds without a helmet.
What I am wondering is this: wouldn't his head have been freeze dried
instantly? Or wouldn't the vacuum have done something horrible to it?

Nope. Not quickly. His big problem is simply that with vacuum in his
lungs, he only has maybe 15 seconds of consciousness left -- the time it
takes blood to get from his lungs, through the left side of his heart, to
his brain.

It was tried in the 60s, deliberately on animals and once accidentally on
a spacesuit technician (early in Apollo suit development). The first
significant event is passing out when the deoxygenated blood reaches your
brain. All other effects are much slower. If you're repressurized within
maybe 30 seconds total, there seems to be no permanent injury.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |