Old February 21st 18, 06:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default NASA's biggest worry right now: What if something goes wrong with the Webb telescope?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 07:37:17 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 08:03:32 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 08:07:00 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
Almost every home has 220V service with 30-50A fusing. Of

course,
not
for every outlet, so it's true that a new outlet might need to be
installed in the garage.

I thought the US had 110V in their outlets. Did thar change? Did

you
switch to 50Hz as well?

U.S. homes receive their power off of a center tapped transformer
which provides (nominally) 120 volts on each leg. Most outlets are
wired between the center tap and one of the two legs, providing 120

V.
Several outlets are commonly wired across the outside legs,

providing
240 V. These are usually found in laundry areas (for electric

dryers),
in kitchens (for electric stoves and ovens), and in garages (for

tools
such as welders and compressors). It is simple enough to add 240 V
outlets when needed for other purposes (for instance, I put a 50A

240
V outlet in my wife's studio for an electric kiln).

(Houses typically have 200 amp service, but can opt for 400 amp
without the power company needing to make any wiring changes.)

Interesting - so you have two-phase AC with a 180 deg difference
between the phases! We don't have that, instead we have three-phase
AC with 120 deg difference between the phases. Connecting between two
phases will increase the voltage not hy a factor of sqrt(4) but by a
factor of sqrt(3) to 400v from the single phase voltage of 230V.