Old November 11th 19, 10:36 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Steve Willner

Default Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?

In article ,
Jos Bergervoet writes:
Yes! So why are only 20 people attending?!

Attendance was far higher than that. The video shows only one side
of the main floor of the room, and the other side is far more popular
(perhaps because it has a better view of the screen). There's a
balcony as well, and quite a few people leave at the end of the talk
and before the question period. I didn't count, but I think the
attendance was close to 100. Anyway it was about the normal number
for a colloquium here.

The colloquium list for the fall is at
https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/colloquia
if you want to see what other topics have been covered.

To the question in another message, I don't see why some local
perturbation -- presumably abnormally low matter density around our
location -- wouldn't solve the problem in principle, but if this were
a viable explanation, I expect the speaker would have mentioned it.
It's not as though no one has thought about the problem. The
difficulty is probably the magnitude of the effect. I don't work in
this area, though, so my opinion is not worth much.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA

[[Mod. note -- I apologise for the delay in posting this article,
which was submitted on Fri, 8 Nov 2019 21:15:25 +0000.
-- jt]]