Old January 1st 10, 12:33 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
Steve Firth

Default Ok, I'll Ask The Question A Different Way

On 2009-12-31, Steve Firth wrote:

That makes me groan as much as all those BBC documentaries in which some
knob flies halfway around the world in order to wring his hands about
the stupidity of flying halfway around the world.

I particularly liked the middle aged lady in the Toyota Pius, sitting outside
the farm shop on Xmas Eve with the engine running in order to keep warm. Point
spectacularly missed, IMO.

I followed one of those home yesterday. I suppose it's no coincidence
that Prius drivers seem to be right up there for driving talent
alongside those who have a fish badge on the back of their car. This one
stuck behind someone bimbling down a rural 'A' road at 45 mph. There
aren't many opportunities for overtaking and whenever the road did open
up Prius man drove astride the white line preventing me from overtaking,
but failing to do so himself.

At every corner both cars ahead of me coasted through the corners -
that's for the ones where they didn't brake at or just after the apex.
When the 45mph car turned off Prius man flogged his engine as hard as he
could, and I reckon he steamed away from me at about 80-85mph. So his
vehicle had been capable of overtaking. He then had to slam on the
anchors for the traffic lights, accelerated away from those as hard as
he could, got into a twisty section and slowed right down since he
seemed to be frightened by corners. The last I sw of him he was caning
it through the village where I live (40 limit) and didn't seem inclined
to slow down for the speed limit at all.

Again, seemed to be missing the point with his divot antics. I presume
he finds the Prius more economical than other cars because if he'd
driven a conventional car that way he'd have been wasting fuel.