Old December 27th 19, 05:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Steel for Shuttle

On 2019-11-18 7:24 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2019-11-17 10:00, Jeff Findley wrote:

Sure. All of such "sensitive" equipment would likely have additional
insulation and possibly even active cooling.

Active oooling becomes more problematic/costly on a cargo ship whose
volume is in vacuum.

This statement makes no sense. Starship is an upper stage whose
propellant tanks contain both cryogenic methane and cryogenic LOX.
There is your potential source of active cooling of things like
"sensitive equipment" during reentry. But, my guess is they don't need
even that. Reentry and landing is intense, but relatively brief so
active cooling using cryogenics isn't likely needed, IMHO.

Yeah, Musk confirmed that more or less I think during an interview with
Tim Dodd after his presentation of the Starship at Boca Chica.

Active cooling *had* been in the design and was removed. I highly
recommend that presentation if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vfEZ3ml5Sg

and I highly recommend this interview with Tim Dodd after the
presentation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ36Kt7UVg

Dave