Old March 30th 08, 03:53 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
[email protected]

Default ISS-Shuttle visibility?

On Mar 26, 4:01 am, Flyguy wrote:
Earth orbiting satellites like the ISS and Shuttle are normally seen in
reflected sunlight above the earth's terminator (shadow) while it's
night on the ground. However I was watching the NASA channel the other
day and I realized how much artificial lighting is now used on the
outside of those two spacecraft when they are not in sunlight. This is
mainly to improve the visibility for the crew, particularly during a
spacewalk. This got me to wondering if anyone has ever seen the ISS or
Shuttle pass over at night when they were *not* in sunlight? IOW- Is the
artificial lighting on the outside of either spacecraft bright enough to
be seen from the ground?

There have been quite a few observations of shuttles while they were
completely within Earth's shadow. Here are some examples reported via
SeeSat-L:

http://satobs.org/seesat/Jan-1996/0077.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Jan-1996/0219.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Oct-2000/0146.html