Old February 16th 07, 05:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
kT

Default Vision of the three Rs: Regular, Reliable and Reusable

Totorkon wrote:
What if a 'vision for space exploitation' were to replace W's VSE.
It is the first step to LEO that requires the giant leap. I don't
know how to set a goal like, 'to deliver a thousand tons per year into
orbit, with a price ceiling of $1K/Kg' , and make it sound as
inspiring as 'landing a man on the moon', but it would be more
practical; serving as a robust foundation for exploration, science
and possible commertial ventures.

What would be the best way to accomplish this? A half dozen, ten ton
payload, frequent flyer flybacks, or a couple of heavys with a two
month turnaround? Anyone up for this game of 'IF', as in 'what if the
first goal is to establish the means'?

The parallel goal would be to establish demand, but that's another
subject.

We're working on it.

You might be interested :

http://cosmic.lifeform.org/?p=267

The basic plan is to remove the SSME and use the robotic arm to install
it into a specially designed nose cone engine reentry carrier, leaving
the fully functional tank in orbit, for residual fuel stockpiling and
tourist operations. We'll put the tourists to work regardless.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html