Old April 13th 05, 09:48 AM
Mark Dunn

This is old advice, but if it has a photocell on top, they used to be
attached by a twist fitting and could be disconnected accordingly.
"Tim Hicks" wrote in message
Martin wrote:
"Lawrence" Lawrence@astronomer wrote in message

Today the local council replaced the bust light that is a few metres

away
from
my observatory. Damn....... For a couple of weeks now it has been
gloriously
dark - but of course the clouds stopped most imaging.

Lawrence Harris

Get yourself an air rifle :-)

Martin

Hmm... I'm only guessing (of course) but I doubt that either of my
rifles (one greak barrel and one pre-charge) would penetrate the glass
in the lamp in front of my house. I can break a beer bottle with a
couple of shots, but the glass only has to become a fraction thicker
(wine bottle) before they struggle at anything over five feet or so.
There are places that will increase the performance of an air gun so
that it *may* (and I mean MAY) have the power, but this would be
illegal, and you would likely be charged as if you had a standard bullet
round firing weapon - i.e. a .303 Bren machine gun!
Ironically, standing directly beneath the lamp and hurling a large flint
would likely be just as effective, but likely to incur a lesser charge.
There is (perhaps understandably) a strong anti gun feeling within the
police force at the moment, and you would likely be charged (and
sentenced) for being spotted near a lampost with a half authentic
looking spud gun.

Tim