Old July 23rd 03, 05:03 AM
Cardman

Default Heard too much and need to vent.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:31:38 +1000, David Findlay
wrote:

They are several times lighter for a given strength than anything else
available, and they only cost $900 per gram.

Are they viable yet? I haven't seen any real world use of them yet. These
are indeed though the only way to really get the space program happening
again. Start really innovating and taking risks instead of doing what we
know is old and tried and tested.

One of NASA's problems in recent years is with trying to make new
technology happen, where as this is easier said than done, then they
usually end up abandoning projects due to it.

That is why I do like them taking the route of developing key
components like new rocket engines instead. Where this is just
improving old tried and tested technology with the latest ideas and
materials.

So in the end you get a much better rocket engine to use in your new
launch rocket.

Why are aluminium modules still being used? Surely even kevlar or similiar
would be lighter.

Outside my knowledge area. I presume this is a cost issue and that the
rocket fuel weighs a lot more.

Well if they wanted to shift more mass, then increasing the size of
the SRBs seems like the easy answer. Yet of course as the shuttle is
the beginning and ending of the cargo carrying limits, then there was
never the need.

Inflatable modules would give the station much more room.

And goes pop if hit by a micro meteorite, but I agree they could have
assembled larger sections if desired.

This new larger ISS component is the movie theater. ;-]

Cardman.