Old September 22nd 17, 04:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

Default Have you seen this new 4" telescope prototype?

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 8:40:17 PM UTC-5, Andre wrote:
On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 8:43:19 AM UTC-4, Borkum Riff wrote:
Apologies if you already have seen this.
http://unistellaroptics.com/en/product

Has anyone taken part in the demos they've done?

Price ?

Who cares. I was once at a public star party and had a 10" scope pointed at the Andromeda Galaxy with a wide field eyepiece. A lot of people were in line looking at our neighbor galaxy which did show up nicely. One person pulled out his Android (or maybe it was another brand) cell phone, held the lens up to the eyepiece and took a snapshot. Incredibly it recorded the darned galaxy, and you could see structure in it.

I would imagine that a bright youngster could hack into one of these phones, change the exposure to something like 60 seconds or more and go galaxy hunting with nothing more than a $300 Dob.

Razzy.