Old May 1st 07, 07:44 PM posted to sci.space.history,rec.org.mensa,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

Default Earth w/o Magnetosphere, w/o Moon

The perfectly good analogy of "G=EMC^2 Glazier", as to contemplating
the "What if (on White Dwarfs)" of a given 4X or 5X solar mass going
postal, such as from that original Sirius B kicking out a few assorted
Oort cloud items while going red-giant, as such isn't all that
unlikely. In fact, it seems as though entirely more common place and
therefore more likely than not, especially interesting as our Sol gets
within better range of using our somewhat wussy gravity to further
attract upon whatever's headed our way.

The Milky Way's 225MY cycle is what also indicates lots of those more
frequent local stellar cycles (such as Sirius), thus not all of our
stellar surroundings remain forever in redshift.

The Geneva-Copenhagen survey of the Solar neighbourhood, by Nordström
et al., as having been further improved by Hipparcos data:
http://www.aanda.org/index.php?optio... d=42&lang=en

Of whatever accumulates as cosmic ice surviving in interstellar space,
especially as for eventually cruising anywhere near 1AU of a Sol like
star, as such requires a fairly substantial volume and/or gravity
worthy core of a cool enough rock (perhaps not unlike 7.35e22 kg), and
otherwise hosting some degree of a protective atmosphere, even if such
an atmosphere is primarily sustained via those icy vapors.

I've asked of others; What is the "R" value of ice as insulation?
Eric Swanson:
Thermal Conductivity, Ice at 0 C = 2.22 (W/m K)

Data for other temperatures found he
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ic...ies-d_576.html

Thermal Conductivity of -0°C ice = 2.22 (W/m K) ~ (R/m/K = 0.45)
Thermal Conductivity of -5°C ice = 2.25 (W/m K) ~ (R/m/K = 0.444)
Thermal Conductivity of -10°C ice = 2.3 (W/m K) ~ (R/m/K = 0.435)
Thermal Conductivity of -30°C ice = 2.5 (W/m K) ~ (R/m/K = 0.4)

In a few other honestly deductive words of my best dyslexic encrypted
wisdom, whereas an ejected icy covered (Sedna like) proto-moon is
entirely livable if you are adequately sequestered within/under such a
protective layer of ice, especially nifty on behalf of sufficiently
intelligent folks, plus capable of hosting all sorts of other DNA
that'll survive such an extended interstellar trek, such as getting
safely away from that white dwarf of a star that used to be of a 4X or
greater solar mass to begin with.

Just 100 meters of -30°C ice is good for insulating: 250 W/K
1 km of that same -30°C ice is good for insulating: 2.5 KW/K
100 km of -30°C ice becomes worthy of insulating at 250 KW/K

Obviously the thermal conduction of such ice is somewhat less (better
insulating) as for what's existing directly upon or near the rocky
surface (R/m/K = 0.45), as is otherwise the more thermally conductive
ice and snow that's likely capable of becoming something near 45 K
(-228°C) at the upper most surface of being exposed to the very worse
of whatever such a local interstellar trek would likely amount to a
heat transfer of 5.34 W/mK, with otherwise an average interstellar
medium that's worthy of perhaps something less than 98 K (-175°C)
losing 4.57 W/mK.

Unfortunately, I'm still that village idiot or pesky messenger from
hell that's suggesting our icy proto-moon as having arrived in a
lithobraking and Earth seasonal tilting fashion, though only as of the
last ice age this planet will ever see, while packing along as much as
262 km worth of surface ice and/or as having collected such volumes of
compacted salty Oort snow on deck, much of which becoming those extra
volumes of salty oceans and ice deposited upon Earth.

Perhaps you folks can manage to further add or subtract your best
swag, as to expanding upon the what-if of this icy DNA transport
analogy that's pretty much all Guth going yaysay postal, as to my
limited mindset favoring a good deal of panspermia influx, up to that
of accomplishing a full blown intelligent design effort that obviously
hasn't turned out quite as well as originally planned, unless absolute
hell on Earth was their intended outcome.
-
Brad Guth