Old October 21st 04, 06:19 PM
Victor

quasarstrider wrote:
(Bill Kno) wrote in message om...

CNTs will become less expensive to make. The space elevator will
become the "cheap" way to get, not only into space, but also as far as
Mars and the astroid belt.

Assuming they can make them strong enough that is.

I do not believe strength will be an issue. I cannot recall exact number
off the top of my head, but Wikipedia puts the strongest CNT specimen
around 63 GPa tensile stength,
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube). With advances in the
field of CNT alignment and growth methods, I believe 63 GPa will soon
become the norm, only to be surpassed by stronger "recipes" of CNTs.

As for the cost of CNTs, I agree they will become cheaper manufacture.
Right now, I believe it is a question of material science engineering
and growth methods. Once a cheap, reliable method is discovered, the
"CNT door" will open into many other realms, not just the space elevator.