Old April 23rd 04, 03:19 PM
jeff findley

Default basic question on orbits of space ships/stations

"Maarten" no_one@nowhere writes:

After browsing the internet for some time, I still haven't found an answer
to the following question.
As a novice in this area, I wonder why there is such a specific preference
for having e.g. ISS, Space Shuttle in an orbit of about 400km. (This I
make up from the testimonials from space ships' crew that all tell about the
sun coming up and going down every 1.5 hours).
So my question is, why this preference for 400 km and why isn't it an orbit
of 250km or 600km or even more ?

The higher you go, the more fuel it takes to get there, and the closer
you get to the van Allen radiation belts. The lower you go, the
faster your orbit decays due to the increasing density of air
molecules. For a space station, the primary consideration is fuel to
get to the orbit and orbital decay (which requires more fuel for reboost).

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.