Old November 28th 16, 05:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Emdrive might change the law of inertia (for the Earth too!)

On 11/26/2016 10:11 PM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
I'm still betting this thing is just a lame excuse for a photon emitter.
All those microwaves bouncing around in that metal chamber has to
produce heat that goes somewhere. If the heat is radiated away in a
non-uniform way, it would produce a very small net thrust due to the
emission of photons in the infrared range (and possibly other ranges).

That's my guess. I keep seeing in other places, "Will the EM drive prove
Physics wrong?" or variations on that.

Me either. But the forces claimed are too high for photon emission.
Either directly as a photon rocket or indirectly via asymmetric photon
emission (ie infra-red emissions due to heating). Also the force curves
don't follow the slowly decreasing saw tooth's you'd expect to see due
to slow decay cooling. They are abrupt square waves that closely track
the applied power.

I still believe it is interacting with an encompassing magnetic field.
An experiment by the DIY'er "monomorphic' over at NasaSpaceFlight.com
has been able to alter force direction by changing an encompassing
magnetic field, if I recall reading a thread over there correctly.

I'll put my money on physics not changing.

Greg, I'd agree. That's a pretty safe bet...

I'd like to see them take the same amount of energy put into this thing
and instead stick it into the most efficient light emitters we've got
and focus all the light in one direction. Then compare the results.

Jeff

You'd get a photon rocket. From what I recall that force is an order of
magnitude or so smaller than what is being measured for EM Drive. Hence
all the excitement.

Dave