Old June 6th 11, 09:03 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

Default Accretion disc rigidity

In article 00,
eric gisse writes:
I just noticed that I missed something obvious. Since when do neutron stars
support accretion disks?

Aren't a lot of X-ray binaries accretion disks around neutron stars?

SW Why would p-waves or gravity waves necessarily be damped out quickly?

I believe my guess at the time was that the turbulence of the medium
coupled with its' relative low density makes it hard to support waves that
could propagate for meaningful stretches.

Turbulence might be a problem, but I'm not sure low density is.
Plasmas are pretty well coupled because of the charges. (By the way,
possessive pronouns don't have apostrophes, though sometimes I put
them in by accident myself.)

SW I vaguely recall some X-ray variability evidence...

It had to do with near-periodic X-ray variability, but I don't
remember the circumstances or reference and may be mistaken about the
whole thing.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA