Old June 4th 11, 02:19 AM posted to sci.astro
eric gisse

Default Accretion disc rigidity

(Steve Willner) wrote in news:isbe71$44e$2@dont-
email.me:

Frisbieinstein wrote in news:2b05512c-5e69-4077-
:
How rigid might the accretion disk of a neutron star be? Rigid
enough to vibrate?

I just noticed that I missed something obvious. Since when do neutron stars
support accretion disks?

In article 00,
eric gisse writes:
It is about as rigid as a cloud of plasma.

Looks right to me.

Which couls support some
vibration modes but nothing that would not be damped out rather quickly.

Why would p-waves or gravity waves necessarily be damped out quickly?

I believe my guess at the time was that the turbulence of the medium
coupled with its' relative low density makes it hard to support waves that
could propagate for meaningful stretches.

(I wouldn't expect s-waves to exist.) I'd expect gravity waves to
last at least a few rotations, and I vaguely recall some X-ray
variability evidence to that effect. However, I don't study these
objects and could be wrong (and my memory is not very trustworthy in
any case, alas).

I've never heard of this.