Old June 3rd 11, 08:55 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

Default Accretion disc rigidity

Frisbieinstein wrote in news:2b05512c-5e69-4077-
:
How rigid might the accretion disk of a neutron star be? Rigid
enough to vibrate?

In article 00,
eric gisse writes:
It is about as rigid as a cloud of plasma.

Looks right to me.

Which couls support some
vibration modes but nothing that would not be damped out rather quickly.

Why would p-waves or gravity waves necessarily be damped out quickly?
(I wouldn't expect s-waves to exist.) I'd expect gravity waves to
last at least a few rotations, and I vaguely recall some X-ray
variability evidence to that effect. However, I don't study these
objects and could be wrong (and my memory is not very trustworthy in
any case, alas).

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123

Cambridge, MA 02138 USA