Old March 12th 05, 06:15 PM
Jorge R. Frank

"Daydreamer99" wrote in
ups.com:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
"Daydreamer99" wrote in
oups.com:

Damon Hill wrote:

Hubble is dying after having served us so well;
time to put our efforts into a replacement.

Please send my some links of equipment that could replace Hubble.

I'm not Damon, but here's a link anyway:

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/hop/

HOP would definitely be both cheaper and more likely to succeed than

HST
robotic servicing.

An HST shuttle servicing mission would be more likely to succeed than

HOP,
and the costs look to be pretty much a wash.

I understand sometimes you have to make way for better things, but in a
plug and play world I believe that NASA training of personnel is great.

Thanks! :-)

Maybe I'm making light of things but if I want to service my washer
dryer let not make a production about it. Training the personell to do
the task is the what is important reosurce.

It may be an important resource, but it's not the biggest cost driver. In
the case of HST servicing, getting the personnel safely to and from the
worksite is the biggest cost driver.

When I was a little boy,
my brother brought me a Radio Shack electronic radio. The same day I
got antoher radio but a better model. Do I through away the lesser
model or can I use it to compare and contrast information?

The cost of ownership of a radio is trivial, so if you've got room in your
house to store it, I say "go for it."

Now, did your dad do the same thing with cars? When he bought a new car,
did he keep the old one (or all the old ones, if you owned more than one
car)? Probably not - otherwise you'd wind up with a front yard full of old
cars. Keeping a bunch of old cars in running condition is expensive. So
most people trade in their oldest car when they buy a new one.

In the case of HST, the analogy is not an old car in your driveway - it's
an old car that is off on the side of the highway hundreds of miles away,
and the only repairman who has a truck to reach your car is going to charge
you the cost of a new car to go fix your old one.

Does it still make sense to fix the old car, or spend the money on a new
one with a warranty and everything?

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.