Old June 21st 18, 11:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Towards routine, reusable space launch.

In article ,
says...

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 8:21:31 PM UTC-4, Alain Fournier wrote:

The cable is tapered, so it is stronger at geostationary altitude.
The most likely reason for the cable to break is if it is hit by
something. The cable being very big at geostationary altitude (and most
likely multi-stranded) it is probably more likely to survive a hit there.

Sooner or later an aircraft will blunder into the area and hit the
cable and break it. Is there any way to prevent that?

Also orbital debris. ISS maneuvers to avoid large bits. Not sure how
you could do that with the space elevator.

Jeff