Old July 2nd 12, 07:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Moments of Inertia and the Shape of Continents and Landmasses on Earth

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:52:09 -0700 (PDT), Nico V
wrote:

About the triangular shapes and the identical orientations: the density of earth is higher than water and the outside of a mass influenced by a centrifugal force always contains the heaviest particles.

That is not true. You need to consider all the forces that a particle
is subject to. In the case of Earth, the effect of gravity is much
greater than the effect of centrifugal force, which is why we have an
iron core and a silicate crust, and not the other way around.

You also have to consider the stability of Earth's rotation.
Too much heavy particles, like earth, around the equator on one side of Earth, let's say for example Africa, and perhaps it then becomes possible that Earth drift's out of it's orbit around the Sun, just because of an unstable rotation.

A lopsided body will not drift out of its solar orbit.

I know a system always drifts towards a stable condition.

Not so. Systems become unstable under all kinds of conditions. In the
absence of external inputs, systems tend towards the lowest energy
state, which is not necessarily stable, or may not be reached without
becoming unstable first.