Old February 28th 07, 07:08 PM posted to sci.space.history,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics,sci.astro
Brad Guth[_2_]

Default How cool is VL2

"The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in
message

Your 86.84% is near enough to the absolute ideal worth of occultation or
solar isolation. Unfortunately, VL2 will never remain quite that good.

Oops, as per usual, I've made another silly typo mistake, as Venus
w/clouds is not 5162 km.

For my solar energy calculations of Venus L2, I'm using the wee bit
larger sun radius of 700,000 km, and of Venus w/clouds at merely 6152
km, and the VL2 of 1,014,290 km

Allowing for some give or take from having to coexist within the halo
station-keeping orbit at VL2:

Solar isolation or occultation of 85% while at VL2 offers 390 w/m2.

ISS average, as based upon orbiting Earth, ISS deals with 780 w/m2.

This means that Venus L2 is actually operating relatively cold compared
to whatever ISS has to cycle itself between 1370 (+ Earth's reflected
IR) and otherwise by nighttime where it's nearly zilch but not ever zero
as it orbits behind mother Earth that's having to radiate all of it's
daytime solar influx (plus something extra on behalf of whatever our
moon and humanity has contributed towards global warming).

Obviously at the distance of VL2 being 1,014,290 km, as such that VL2
location hasn't to worry all that much about the extent of secondary IR
that's coming off the nighttime season of Venus, at least not nearly as
to the extent of what Earth's ISS at merely 375,000 km has to deal with
(plus whatever gets contributed by our extremely large and nearby moon
that's actually capable of being a fairly good IR reflector and
otherwise offing a secondary/recoil bath worth of FIR or long wave IR
energy to boot).

I had to use my dyslexic swag at the ISS figure of 780 w/m2 because, for
some reason there's no clear cut science as to the orbital thermal
budget that's imposed upon that sucker, such as to what Earth
contributes to the ISS thermal energy budget. If anything, I'm
guestimating way low on that amount, especially if Earth reflects
roughly 36%, as obviously one way or another all of that solar influx
plus whatever's contributed by our moon has to leave town, or else Earth
explodes.

Therefore, a given POOF or perhaps many POOF applications at VL2 should
fly.
-
Brad Guth