Old December 7th 03, 01:43 AM
Chris L Peterson

Default What is SPAM? (Was: Most Complete Astronomy Software Available)

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 03:19:49 +0200, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

So you are saying that "Unsolicited messages, often of a commercial
nature, sent DISCRIMINATELY to multiple mailing lists, individuals, or
newsgroups." is not spam?

I think it's fair to say this isn't a black and white issue. We all get stuff
that would be pretty universally considered spam (products to increase your,
umm, telescope size) and things that at least some of us would not, even though
commercial and unsolicited. I don't have a big problem with the occasional email
directed to me by someone selling something astronomical. I might have a mild
sense of distaste, depending on how focused it is and just where I think they
got my address, but I don't go filing complaints with their ISPs like I do some
other UBEs.

For the many years I've been participating in this NG, short, occasional,
topical commercial posts have been well accepted, particularly where the poster
is a regular participant here.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com