Old February 15th 13, 08:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default Russian Meteor Strike

From Brian Lawrence:
On 15/02/2013 17:05, Stuf4 wrote:

snip
I just now read that the this morning's meteor strike came in from a totally
different direction from 2012 DA14, so now I see what you were saying.

It's also about the time difference between the meteor/ite and the
closest approach. Roughly 14 hours apart. Again roughly, the Earth
orbits at around 30kps, so over 14 hours travels about 1.5 million
km ~ 1m miles. That's a huge difference between objects from a single
'parent' - perhaps not 100% impossible, but extremely unlikely.
Possibly if the objects separated a long time ago and their orbits
have continued to diverge over time.

Yeah. The HUGE lesson learned from all this is that our detection ability is lame. All these trillions spent on killing fellow members of the human race might be more wisely apportioned if we'd divert even a small fraction of that toward protecting the planet as a whole.

The wakeup call was with SL9 during the 25th anniversary of Apollo 11. We got a repeat event during the 40th anniversary of that first step. It's like the Universe is presenting a giant billboard to us:
| |
| HELLO? WOULD Y'ALL LIKE TO CONTINUE EVOLVING, OR WHAT? |

~ CT