Old November 9th 03, 07:57 AM
Pat Flannery

Default Von Braun rockets on Encyclopedia Astronautica

Scott Lowther wrote:

Errr... I was with you up to the last two words. The references I've
got, including the 1946 transript of the von Braun debriefing, call it
nothing more than an early X-15... no military potential at all.

Well, it says that on Encyclopedia Astronautica:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/a6.htm
....and we all know that THE SITE is infallible as a source of
information; just because the site still lists Cassini as presently en
route to Venus http://www.astronautix.com/craft/cassini.htm, this
shouldn't reflect on the A6/A9 stuff...

into a separate booster for the missile (another German idea, for a
missile called "The Horse And Rider")

Never heard of that one. References?

And all the books that got put back on the shelf come right back off
again....and will try to track down a reference for it. I'll also put
the question up on sci.space.history, so that Henry Spencer can tell us
about it in detail.
I've read about it in numerous places- generally in regard to the
postwar Soviet program; but have never been able to track down even a
sketch of the damned thing*- it was supposed to be an A4 with a ramjet
driven missile stuck on the side Navaho-style (or possibly on top- this
is one of the things that the expatriate Germans worked on in the Soviet
Union after the war as a follow-on to the the Peenemunde work on the
concept; this might be called the father of the Soviet EKR missile
design http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/g3.htm
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/ekr.htm )

(there is a detailed cutaway of the NA-704 in G. Harry Stine's
"ICBM" book).

Is there? There isn't one in *my* copy.

Whoops, wrong book! Try page 89 of "The X-Planes" by Jay Miller 1988
edition (I don't have the updated edition, but it's under the X-10
section in the edition I have.)

But then, I've got the full-rez
scan that this http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/navajosmall.jpg was made
from (at 15% scale), so there.

THANK YOU! That is a very slick illustration of it. Does it look to you
like it uses a separate fuel for the ramjets, or if the rocket fuel is
also used for fueling the jet engines? It's somewhat difficult to
determine if has two or three propellant tanks...lot of the Bomarc in
that design, isn't there?

Pat

*Actually, I have a side and top-view painting of it...and I treat those
paintings with every bit as much trust as I treat the Nazi Flying Saucer
cutaways, even though they're not by the Boys From Barcelona. It's in
the book book "Hitler's Siegswaffen, Band 2- Star Wars 1947" along with
my used-without-permission drawing of the hypothetical German atomic
bomb from the Luft 46 site (downloaded from the web in such a way that
the parts identification doesn't line up with the writing next to it),
the Stuka armed with the atomic bomb (so, you pull out of the dive as
the bomb releases at around 200 feet, and then...) and the type XXI
submarine with the Golf class conning tower on it- bet you didn't know
that the German's even had a plan for an SLBM missile sub in World War
II, did you? Vell, Schweinhund, der are HUNDREDS of secret Reich
projects you Americans knew nothing about! Velcro was originally called
"Der Grossekleinenhooken"! Duct Tape was originally known as
"Uberstickenstuffentappen"! Did you ever see a scented urinal cake prior
to 1946? NEIN! IT VAS ANOTHER STOLEN TRIUMPH OF DER GERMAN ENGINEERING!
....and frankly, I've never had the sick urge to look up what exactly
"Der Reprassentant des Haigerloch Atombomben-Museums auBerte gegennuber
dem amerikanischem Forscher Flannery, daB, obwohl in Haigerloch keine
Atombehalter gefunden wurden, dies nicht bedeutet, daB sie nicht
existieten. Die suche geht also weiter!" in the book translates to; but
I think this could well be something regarding the torch-bearing mob
from Haigerloch that showed up at the castle shortly after (the since
revised) Part 1 of the Luft 46 article went up on the web; and I was
informed that for the third time in 20 years their desperately needed
tourist industry was going to by annihilated by spurious concerns over
plutonium contamination.
Even as I write, babies go without milk in Haigerloch; I think this is
one of those bat-wings and barbed tail things at death; I'll say hello
to General Kammler for everybody. Haigerloch is safe- there is no
plutonium lying about....there is that vampire that lives in the
vicinity, but if you confine your tourism to the daylight hours, and eat
garlic at every meal, you should be perfectly safe.