Old July 2nd 03, 05:03 AM
Henry Spencer

Default Could Columbia have been Saved?

In article ,
MSu1049321 wrote:
Now wait a sec, I think I read somewhere that while gear deployment is done by
a manual switch, there IS a tie-in to the computer or to a radar altimeter such
that in the last critical seconds, a pyro will BLOW the doors open and the gear
down and locked, if the regular system fails.

Nope, you've misunderstood. The pyro backup system is also tied to the
manual switch; it is a backup for the primary deployment hardware, not a
backup for the switch.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |