Old March 4th 19, 05:14 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Dragon2 test flight

Niklas Holsti wrote on Sun, 3 Mar 2019
21:32:59 +0200:

However, when Crew Dragon is docking and very close (one or two meters,
if I remember correctly) there seems to be a "crew hand-off point" at
which ISS crew commanding stops and Crew Dragon is left to dock
autonomously. But it was not clear to me if this is just a procedural
rule, or technically prevented in some way.

It wouldn't surprise me greatly if there is a lockout. We do the same
thing with Man-In-The-Loop missiles based on early experience with
remote operators pulling the missile off target using the manual
controls because the remote display can make it look like the missile
is going to miss when it is right on track to the target. So we
insert a 'MITL Lockout Point' beyond which MITL is disabled. Same
thing with the F/A-18 during carrier launches. It's difficult for
aircrew to not pull back too far on the stick when the cat fires.
There's no mechanized lockout to prevent it, but if you watch a launch
you'll see the pilot reach up and hold a grab handle on the side of
the cockpit. This is so they don't subconsciously pull back on the
controls so that the jet will fly its programmed pattern on launch.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."