Old September 22nd 18, 06:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default "First Man" ...revisited: YouSuck-MZ

I see this to be a very important topic. Ways that we as human beings can figure out how to get along without killing each other. And, for that matter, without attempting to murder each other with our words.

The response here in this forum to my post would be very easy to predict. Hardly surprising. Yet one can still remain hopeful for reasonable, respectful interaction.

This topic about the homicidal history of those who walked on the Moon is something I see to be so important that I took a guess that there are others who are interested in this topic as well.

So I turned to Google...

And I was very glad to see that the very first search attempt gave a top hit that cut straight to the heart of the matter, with this interview with Neil Armstrong... And this was hitting the jackpot, because the story is told by Armstrong's official biographer, author of First Man, James Hansen:

------------------------
https://www.space.com/22510-neil-arm...emembered.html

The Truth About Neil Armstrong (Op-Ed)
By James Hansen, Auburn University | August 23, 2013 07:08pm ET

Quote:
--------------
One story that Neil told me that he never told anyone else concerned a flight he took over North Korea while on a dawn combat patrol in 1951. Passing over a ridge of low mountains in his F9F Panther jet, Neil saw laid out before him rows and rows of North Korean soldiers, unarmed, doing their daily calisthenics outside their field barracks. He could have mowed them down with machine-gun fire, but he chose to take his finger off the trigger and fly on. As Neil told me, "It looked like they were having a rough enough time doing their morning exercises."

No one else in his fighter squadron that I interviewed ever heard the story, because Neil never told it, but they accepted it without hesitation as true. They themselves would have all fired their guns, they admitted, but there was something too honorable in Neil for him to kill men who were in no position to defend themselves. Neil was quite adamant that he didn't want the story in his biography, and I tell it now, after his death, with some reluctance.
------------------------

It would be fascinating to learn what other stories Hansen left out of the bio. Along with stories that are known by others who were very close to Neil Armstrong.

And seeing how this article was published back in 2013, this also raises the question of what director Damien Chazelle decided to do with info like this that didn't make it into the book. Did he even do his homework well enough to learn about this story? If he did, did this scene make it into the movie?!

It is a very easy guess to say that, no, this story did not make it into the movie. Because if it had, this would be something that those who screened it at the VFF would have been talking about.

Now I'm not holding my breath regarding responses that will be posted here. We can dismiss this story as James Hansen trolling us. Right? Yeah. NO.. It is only certain human beings that we treat like **** here on this forum. And James Hansen is not one of them. He is a respected author. Whereas certain others, that's when this forum has so often and so consistently turned to cyber-bullying. Crapping on an obviously sincere post as "trolling". So many other times dismissing obviously sincere posts as "conspiracy theories". That is the MO that I experienced soon after arriving to this forum back in 2001. And I'm very sad to know that it has never changed throughout all of these nearly two decades later.

Earlier this year, I had stated that NASA uses racist clocks. No one was so much as interested to hear exactly how they do that. It was just another of the wealth of information that I have shared here that has been attacked with the most vile of hostility.

This continues to happen even after things I have posted here and were attacked have eventually been accepted into the main stream understanding of what is accurate versus what is bogus.

I have come to accept that this forum is, and will remain, a cesspool. There is only so much that one person can do if others are not willing to help toward achieving a goal.

A respectful place for a rational exchange of ideas. SSH never was this in 2001. And it is nowhere near this today in 2018.

I had some hope that there would be significant improvement when the most acerbic members of this forum had died off, literally. But that has proven to not be the case. The problem that runs rampant in this forum cuts much deeper.

The irony here is that the original post stated:
"... the concept of kindness, and treating each other with mutual respect."

It is this very same problem that leads to human beings killing each other with bombs and guns on the battlefield that is the root cause of the word-atrocities that happen right here, in our little corner of Usenet.

Spending billions of dollars to fly a rocket out to the Moon and back seems like a silly waste of money when there are these most fundamental problems here on the surface of the Earth. That was the complaint back in the '60s.. And it is the same criticism being offered right now, here in 2018.

But then again, there is a chance that Yusaku will succeed in his vision. Perhaps there is a chance that what he and his crewmates will accomplish will serve to inspire us all. And maybe even enough so that the next time someone has the thought of ****ting on a fellow human being with words, or by other means, Yusaku's art will give us pause. And something inside us will be uplifted and we will have the thought that we ourselves can do better. We can treat each other more decently.

Yes, even here on Usenet.

~ CT

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 2:08:19 PM UTC-5, Dean Markley wrote:
On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 6:15:41 AM UTC-5, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

Huge week this week with Elon Musk's announcement that Yusaku 'YouSuck/MZ' Maezawa is slated to be SpaceX's first paying customer on the BFR to fly to the Moon.

Here is a question that I am intrigued by, yet no one asks...

Who was the first person on the Moon who didn't kill anyone?

b.s. snipped

Hey Stuffy, go eff yourself.

That is all.

Jeff

I concur with you. That's nothing but a poor attempt at trolling.