Old January 29th 18, 01:59 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default Debbie Reynolds and Space History

From Jeff Findley:
In article ,
says...

From Jeff Findley:
In article ,
says...

Today we are at the 51st anniversary of the Apollo 1 tragedy. Today, a year after presenting this to this forum, I will explain how Debbie Reynolds is connected to this whole mess. And now, in 2018, we also have the death of John Young, as this Debbie Reynolds connection directly impacted him as well.

Yes, Debbie Reynolds' connection was through her role as Molly Brown in the 1964 movie where she got an Oscar nomination. Gus Grissom caught hell with his Mercury capsule sinking, and so on the first Gemini, which he flew with John Young, he picked 'Molly Brown' as the nickname for their spacecraft.

The fundamental theme of this story is one of an oppressive environment of domination, and whether you will choose to submit to that domination, or instead assert the principles you hold, standing up to those who have power over you.

Please quit posting this sort of hare brained conspiracy, Beautiful
Mind, bull****.

It was perfectly clear one year ago when I first posted about the importance of Debbie Reynolds to Space History that this forum is still a cesspool.

They didn't shape the space program one bit. The people in the space
program made references to bits of American culture at the time, that's
all. Besides, this one you posted a year ago. Seems like yesterday to
me.

These cultural references are not historically significant from the
point of view of space history. Unless you're a plaque writer for
exhibits at the Smithsonian and you're trying to people interested in
the artifacts that don't care much about the actual hardware or
accomplishments. That's not the readership here at all, so they're
actually borderline off topic, IMHO.

Constructive criticism noted. Thank you!

I could have stuck to the standard connection between Debbie Reynolds and space:
She gave birth to Carrie Fisher. So it's almost like she gave birth to Mark
Hamill as well. Lucas could have brought her in to the universe ...like for a
song in the Star Wars Holiday Special. Heh.

I am amazed when people are so close in life that they die nearly together in
death. Typically, it is two spouses. But Debbie Reynolds dying one day after
her daughter was the final act in showing how close they were.

~ CT