Old July 24th 03, 08:23 PM
Russell Martin

Default Your opinions, please...

Alan W. Craft wrote in message . ..
I'm considering a Parks classic Newtonian,
and to mount on a Vixen GP-DX equatorial
mount. While their 8" f3.5 seems to be just
a wee bit too fast, and their 8" f6 a tad too
slow for DSO's and the like(not to mention
the tube length), I've looked into the
possibility of an 8" f5 custom-made by
Parks and sold via Scope City...

"Thank you for contacting Scope City.
I have reviewed your request for
information on the Parks Optical tube
for telescopes. Based on the information
provided ( 8 inch - f/5 - F=1000, Newtonian)
you would need a 9 3/8th ID 9 3/4 OD
diameter tube, all we need to know from
you is the length you would like to purchase.
You can see a complete listing of all the
tubes Parks offers. We have many in
stock, custom order usually take a
few months."

"...the length I would like to purchase."?

Wouldn't the focal ratio determine that,
or am I missing something?

Substantially, yes, but I suppose you might want a bit longer tube
to cut down on stray light or drop the primary down a bit for some
close-to-the-tube focuser/smaller diagonal combination.

Also, please comment on the focal
ratio I've indicated...advantages...
disadvantages?

All opinions, good or bad, are most
welcome.

Alan

Like some others have said, there's nothing really wrong with an f/6
for most DSOs, IMO. FWIW.

Regards,
Russell