Old October 13th 03, 01:59 AM
Jon Isaacs

Default $3000 and which scope???

I disagree, as the focal length would be quite a run given
a common set of oculars, and therefore not as observationally-
versatile as, say, a 12.5" f/5 Newtonian;
not that the
catadioptric's useless; just not as versatile...

2800mm focal length / 32mm ocular = 87.5x...

...so much for even an inkling of a wide-field view.

2800mm focal length / 32mm ocular = 87.5x...

2800x0.63=1764mm With a 42 mm ocular this will provide about 42x, and a FOV
greater than 1 degree.

SCTs are versatile because they put a lot of optics into a small package. You
want to do astrophotography with a 12.5 inch F5 Newt it will end up costing
well over that $3000 figure to get it on the mount.

Newtonians are nice scopes and so are SCTs.

There was a time when Meade, and perhaps Celestron, too,
offered f/6.3 instruments, but no more, and out of manufacturing
difficulties, I suspect, rather than lack of demand. Now, focal
reducers are proffered en lieu

As I understand it, optically F6.3 is pushing the SCT design and results in
some rather unfortunate compromises and that a focal reducer/corrector is
provides a flatter field as well.

If I had $3000 to buy a telescope I would put it the bank as I am happy with
what I currently have.

jon