Old October 13th 03, 12:04 AM
Alan W. Craft

Default $3000 and which scope???

On 12 Oct 2003 22:14:00 GMT, (Rod Mollise) ...reflected:

If you had a limit of $3000, what scope setup would you buy and why?
No, I haven't won the lottery...
David

Hi:

No ifs, ands or buts, the Celestron Nexstar 11...'nuff said.

I disagree, as the focal length would be quite a run given
a common set of oculars, and therefore not as observationally-
versatile as, say, a 12.5" f/5 Newtonian; not that the
catadioptric's useless; just not as versatile...

2800mm focal length / 32mm ocular = 87.5x...

....so much for even an inkling of a wide-field view.

There was a time when Meade, and perhaps Celestron, too,
offered f/6.3 instruments, but no more, and out of manufacturing
difficulties, I suspect, rather than lack of demand. Now, focal
reducers are proffered en lieu.

Of course, there are disadvantages and advantages with all
types, though one may not propose that particular catadioptric
as an observational absolute, nor that particular Newtonian,
either.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Alan