Old October 24th 08, 06:15 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

Default supernova question?

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/sne_cosmology.html

In article ,
John Polasek writes:
Maybe you can clarify the logic. The y-axis is cz which boldly goes to
900000km/s.

No logic needed, but the plot units are confusing. The y axis really
is the product of c and z. Yes, that makes no physical sense, but
I'm afraid plotting those units is fairly common. Just mentally
change the units to z and divide the values by 3E5, and all will be
well. As you say, (1+z) is just the ratio of observed to emitted
wavelength, and there's no limit on how large it can be.

I'm going to email Ned and ask him to change the plot.

By the way, the Kowalski et al. paper is well worth reading:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.4142

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA