Old February 16th 04, 11:38 PM
OG

"Luigi Caselli" wrote in message

I'm not so sure. See for example
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/0...ind/index.html
Noone seems to have answer to a young galaxy supercluster like this one.
If there are problems to explain galaxies of 10,8 billion years ago how

can
explain a so young galaxy (13 billions years ago).

I think the difficulty with the galactic supercluster is that it is SO big
when the universe itself was then so small.

The COBE survey should have set limits to the unevenness of the early
universe and its hard to see how such a large structure could have developed
that early.

In itself there is no really major problem with galaxy creation well within
the first billion years - at 750Million years old, the universe was 6000x
denser than at present, so one can imagine a rapid gas cloud collapse
without stretching credulity too much.

There's no more evidence in cosmology, only indirect effects that you can
explain as you like...
For example:
Strange galaxy rotation? Introduce dark matter of the right quantity to
justify it (very easy).
Ultraspeed galaxy "rushing away"? Introduce dark energy of the right
quantity to justify it (very easy).
Search some less dark solutions? Too difficult and risky...

Luigi Caselli

Yup, broadly you're right; I don't think anyone is pretending that the
current model is in any sense complete, and we're at a stage of
understanding where the observational material from the very early universe
is beginning to outstrip the theory once again. However, we're not ready to
chuck out the whole theory quite yet.

Owen