Old February 16th 04, 04:10 PM
Luigi Caselli

"db" ha scritto nel messaggio
According to California Institute of Technology astronomer Jean-Paul
Kneib, who is the lead author reporting the discovery in a
forthcoming article in the Astrophysical Journal, the galaxy is most
likely the first detected close to a redshift of 7.0, meaning that it
is rushing away from Earth at an extremely high speed due to the
expansion of the universe. The distance is so great that the

I wish they wouldn't say it like this. Expansion is not a bunch of
individual objects "rushing away"... and a z (or even z+1) is not a

Doppler
shift. Maybe its just too easy to present it this way.

David A. Smith

But "rushing away" does cause a Doppler shift, does it not?

In the standard big bang theory Doppler shift is the reason for "rushing
away".
In other less popular theories this is not so sure...

But big bang is so fascinating that almost noone has doubts about strange
facts as a galaxy formed only 750 millions years after the big bang (a bit
too young)... seen using gravitational lens... some sort of great
illusionism like dark everything (matter, energy, holes, etc.) that we
discover day after day...

But if I can believe Italian politicians I can believe everything...

Luigi Caselli