Old July 5th 05, 11:05 PM
El Rey de los Chingones

If you count December of 1994 as less than twenty years, then you can count
the Soviet Vega 1 and Vega 2 missions. Their primary target was Halley's
comet, but they did fly by Venus and drop off both landers and atmospheric
probes. The balloons each lasted for a couple of days, and one of the
landers made it down in working order.

Galileo did a fly by in 1989 on the way to Jupiter. I think it took some
snapshots.

Magellan was in orbit doing radar mapping from 1989 to 1994.

That's all I can think off.

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
.. .
Only one space mission visited Venus in
the past 20 years, by my count (T-shirt for
corrections), but a number of probes made
Venus-fly-bys on their way elesewhere --
does anybody have a complete list? I'm doing
a pre-flight piece on Venus-Express.