Old March 6th 04, 04:59 PM
Ed Majden

Default microscope bino head

Posted to the RASC members newsgroup and forwared to sci.astro.amateur.

I have read Alan Dyer's review, "Binocular Viewers for Telescopes", in
the September 2002 issue of Sky& Telescope, p.46-p.51. Will a modified
microscope head perform as well as the ones tested, not very likely. Alan
tested the Baader and Tel Vue heads at U.S. list prices of $1400 (more with
accessories) and $1050 for the Tel View. My modified Nikon head cost
approximately $50 U.S. on eBay.
Preliminary tests show that it does work. I have so far only tried it
on terrestrial objects and the Sun with 1.0" off-axis solar filter on my
Questar 3-1/2". To get enough back focus on the Questar, it is far from the
optimum design position of best viewing. There is 50% plus loss of light,
as the light is split in two, by the beam splitter and prisms in the unit.
The view is still acceptable. Another problem, especially for me. (For the
people that know me they are aware that my neck is fused and I have very
limited movement). The microscope head inclined from vertical by
approximately 30 degrees. When mounted on the back of a SCT or Questar,
viewing is fine near the horizon, but at high or near zenith observation
positions viewing is very awkward even if you can contort yourself into the
correct position, I can't, RATS! I still have to test the unit on the
planets etc. I doubt that it will work well for deep sky objects. Unless
you can afford one of the Rolls Royce viewers noted above you will have to
accept these limitations. Still a fun project.

Ed Majden
Courtenay, B.C.