Old March 5th 04, 12:39 AM
Ed Majden

Default microscope bino head

"Rod Mollise"
Microscope heads can do an _OK_ job on the Moon planets, but for the deep

sky
(or even for Solar System use) the Denk just blows them away. Frankly, for

me,
the Denkmeiers made binoviewing a way of life rather than just a
curiousity--I'm serious.

I agree with Rod. The light is split between both oculars so it is
quite a bit dimmer. Probably at least a 50% loss of light going to each
ocular. This is fine for the bright planets, moon, and the sun. To be
effective for deep sky, your going to need a large light bucket. I haven't
been able to compare it to a commercial unit so I can't comment on the
differences. I don't think it would work well on a short F-ratio instrument
because of the small entrance aperture but on a Schmidt Cass or Refractor it
works as expected. If you a deep sky NUT why not make a real bino telescope
with say, two 25 inch mirrors. That should work just great I would think!
;-)
Ed