Old March 4th 04, 03:06 AM
Jim

Default microscope bino head

There goes the days of the Denkmeier $599 standard! Way to go! Ever think of
opening your own business?

Adapting a Microscope Bino head for an astro telescope!

I just tried my eBay, Nikon Microscope bino head on my 3-1/2" Questar.
To my amazement it worked. I didn't think I could get enough back focus but
that was no problem. It does unbalance the Questar because of the added
weight hanging on the back. So far, I have only used it during the day.
Need to get some "clear" dark nights to do some better testing. Only
problem I can see so far is that you cannot swing it through the fork. A
friend of mine, John Purdy, is a model engineer with a small Myford ML7
lathe, and he made the adaptor so it will fit a standard 1-1/4" eyepiece
holder. One could also do it on a Unimat hobby lathe! Good quality wide
field microscope oculars seem to work just fine. I've got another set of
Periplan flat field oculars on the way. When testing is done we will
evaluate our results and perhaps do an article for the Journal of the RASC.
"A bino head on the Cheap"

Cheers:

Ed Majden & John Purdy
Courtenay/Comox