Old February 28th 04, 06:01 AM
jerry warner

Default Question About Probes

I think we are entering the era of the robotic probe. Hundreds (1000's) will be
launched of varying complexity ... all at a fraction of the cost of one manned
mission
and with far more earth-bound economic impact. Im a firm believer in manned
missions but they need to be reserved for important ventures on a brand new
launch platform.... Saturn V-A ?
jerry

BenignVanilla wrote:

I have been closely following the Mars mission and understand the importance
of the experiments, but certainly all of that gear ads complexity. Then I
look at the photo's Cassini is sending back and am in awe. So I got to
thinking, what the complexities be, in designing a probe that is just a hi
res camera, and a transmitter/receiver. Considering economy of scale, if the
device were small and simple, we could product them cheaply and in such
quantities that we could launch them all over the solar system. Let them
wander, take photo's and send them home.

What are we talking in expense? complexity? doablibility?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com