Old December 6th 03, 10:40 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default What is SPAM? (Was: Most Complete Astronomy Software Available)

Tom,

A "quick and dirty definition" by yours truly: ANY UNsolicited
email. That simple.

Anthony.

Tom Rankin wrote:

What is SPAM after all?

This is the great debate I hold with my 2 selves! :-)

I tend to think that SPAM is in the eye (or the window) of the beholder.

Some would consider any commercial post to this n.g. a SPAM, and react
like "GLOIRIUS SPAM" did. Others, like Rod, apparently are eager to
read these types of postings, and defend them.

While I was amused by the "GLOIRIUS SPAM" response, I must also agree
with Rod that the original poster is not a frequent 'spammer', and
produces a worthwhile product, used, no doubt, by at least a few
readers of this n.g.

If you do not want to see this person's posts anymore, if can be
easily filtered out. But, items of interest to the general reader of
this group should not be prohibited, just because you have to spend a
few bucks to purchase them. Right ??

Yes, I'm famous for being of 2 minds about a subject!

Recently, I received 2 astronomy-related commercial solicitations to
my private email address that were to be forwarded to "members of my
astronomy club". In the past, I have identified myself as a contact
point for my club to various organizations. So, when I get these
types of solicitations, should I forward them to my fellow club
members, so they can tell me not to send them SPAM? (This has
happened). Or should I delete them right away, and tell the author to
stop sending me crap (this has happened too!) ??

The debate rages, at least in my schizophrenic mind....

Rod Mollise wrote:

GLOIRIUS SPAM,

bUT i DON'T LIKE SPAM...EEEUUUCCC you don't like spam.

Hi:

Well, darn! You're a big help. Frankly, I don't consider Steve's
_occasional_
posts here 'spam' anyway. For one thing, they are not being delivered
to your
mailbox. And, personally, I like to know about software updates to astro
software. There's been a lot on this group in recent days of far less
value to
me than this. ;-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html