Old July 7th 07, 02:53 PM posted to sci.space.history
Craig Fink

Default F-14 being destroyed instead of...

scott wrote:

On Jul 3, 11:08 pm, John wrote:
On Jul 3, 4:03 pm, JGDeRuvo wrote:

On Jul 2, 7:51 pm, Craig Fink wrote:

being sold to the American People. What craziness, here we are at War
in the Middle East and we are busy destroying weapons.

Hummm, kind of makes me wonder....
--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

Do you have a link for this?

The problem is, that no matter how much you or I may love the F-14
(and I loved it), the fact is that it was too expensive to maintain
anymore. Between wear on the airframe and the obsolescence of many of
its components (the parts aren't made anymore, or the people who made
them are out of business), the cost of keeping the planes flying in
the air was too much.

As far as destroying the airframes, I am not sure anyone . . . or any
foundation would have what it would take to keep an F-14 flying, like
is being done for the F-4. Perhaps if it was stripped of anything not
related to the safety of demonstration flight it could be done. But
the F-14 was complex and I am not sure it would be practical.

I just hope that anyone who wants one a gate guard or a memorial, and
has the money to pay to demil'ing the plane, transporting it, and
promises to take care of it, gets one

Take care . . .

John

They are being destroyed so that the parts don't fall into the wrong
hands. Any guess who might have some F-14's?

Let's see, we sell F-14s to Iran therefore we must destroy all of our
F-14s... Talk about Blowback on the American people.