Old July 7th 07, 02:50 PM posted to sci.space.history
Craig Fink

Default F-14 being destroyed instead of...

Henry Spencer wrote:

In article ,
Scott Hedrick wrote:
Some reason why private Americans shouldn't be allowed to buy them?

As of roughly the beginning of the Cold War, the US military reversed its
earlier surplus-aircraft policy and decided that civilians could not be
trusted with jet fighters.

In practice, you'd be crazy to buy one -- part of the reason they're being
retired is that they are hideously expensive to maintain -- but then,
there are some crazy people out there...

That's because your from Canada and still believe that Queen of England is
the sovereign entity, not the individual. Essentially, that we all aren't
created equal, that some are more equal than others, and have a birth right
over the land and people. Well, maybe you don't believe all that, but
that's the system you live under. You have a birth right Queen (or King).

I don't consider it crazy to what to take a ride in an F-14, or watch a
formation of F-14s fly by at an air show 50 years from now. Without the
high performance weapons, it's just a high performance jet. There are
probably a lot of others who would be willing to spend the dollars to
maintain it for "a" super sonic ride in a F-14.