Old January 19th 07, 10:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default Did The Chinese Violate Any Treaties?

On 19 Jan 2007 13:35:31 -0800, in a place far, far away, "Ed Kyle"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

They wouldn't be any more liable than the U.S. for the two Delta
stages that fragmented and created clouds of debris in LEO last
year. Or Japan for its H-2A upper stage that blew up last year.
Or Russia, which blew up a Kosmos satellite in LEO late last
year.

It's interesting that there's no distinction made between accidents
and a deliberate act.

I think the liability would be the same either way.

Yes, but as I said, it's interesting. In a civil case, a deliberate
act would carry a higher penalty, perhaps with punitive damages.