Old September 20th 03, 10:23 PM
Pascal Bourguignon

Default The Non-Innovator's Dilemma

(Arthur Hansen) writes:
A shuttle concept is not necessarily bad, as Japan and the EU both
have *unmanned* shuttle concepts that look very good. The EU one looks
pretty slick with painted on TPS.

The shuttle has the problems of being the *first* shuttle.

Look at how crappy the very first cars were. It was very common to get
flat tires fixed every thirty miles and other breakdowns.

Basically, NASA does not want human spacelfight to become economically
viable since by doing this, it will have shot itself in the head. Therefore
I think that Congressional pressure is needed to change NASA's goal: to
develop technology to make access to space economically viable.

NASA would love to both save money on human space-flight *and* keep
their budget. They'd love to switch that to other projects (like Mars
of NEO's asteroids).

But we have to get beyond 1.0 of the shuttle.

Yes, but the difference between the shuttle and the car, is that
governments let people buy and use cars so it could be made in big
quantities.

I agree, what we need is an industry building millions of space ship a
year. Then you will have space ships as secure as your car, and as
cheap. (Or you can compare to yachts if you prefer...).

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/