Old February 6th 11, 04:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

Default Pro & amateur astronomers ?

On Feb 5, 4:11 pm, yourmommycalledandsaidbehave
wrote:
On Feb 5, 1:46 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

I've read how serious amateurs study data from advanced
instruments and find new things, obviously many serious
amateurs are superior to the average pro astronomer,
expecially if the pro is cherry picking for a science paper.
OTOH I also read some data from observations is held in
secret for 1 year so the pros have first crack at writing up
'a paper'.
Seems like a nutty system, especially when it's the tax-
payer paying for the instrument.
What gives?
Ken

Trying learning