Old October 16th 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

Default Loop Gravity and the Bouncing Universe

"oldcoot" wrote in message...
On Oct 15, 12:13 pm, Double-A wrote:

My fellow cosmologists, the October issue of the Scientific American
has a very good article on a new theory of quantum gravity, Loop
Gravity, which is very interesting. It talks about theoretical
"atoms" of space-time that are little spheres the diameter a Planck-
length. These atoms of space-time can only hold so much energy, and
then their gravity turns repulsive. So point singularities can never
form, and a collapsing universe will never reach a singularity, but
will only reach a state of extreme density, at which time the
repulsive gravity will make it bounce back in an apparent Big Bang.
The model shows that little information could come through this big
crunch because of quantum scrambling. The theory predicts that
different frequencies of light may travel at slightly different
speeds! (Haven't I been saying that?) Anyway, it's a good read and
worth pondering. Any thoery that gets rid of singularities is a step
forward. You can also read it at

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...-or-big-bounce

Interesting piece, AA. It's actually a refined variation of the
oscillating/reciprocating and 'eternal return' models. And it's
interesting that the author speaks of "space-time atoms", which would
be a rough corollary to our sub-Planckian 'granulons' comprizing the
SPED. However, the euphamism "space-time" is still mandated because
the VSP forbids existance of the SPED.
Then juxtapose this model alongside the CBB
model which recognizes two distinct referance frames : the restricted
'inside' frame which perceives only a singular 'Bang' bouncing back
from a singular 'crunch' (like a single power stroke of a piston).
Then there's the overarching 'outside' frame from whence the whole
Process is seen continuously running, like a gas turbine.
http://community-2.webtv.net/oldcoot/ContinuousBigBang/

This is why the CBB model subsumes but *does not negate* the singular
BigBang (or singular Big Bounce) idea. Hell, there's even a (singular)
Big Bloom idea floating around the web. :-)

So if LQG ever takes off as the Primo, Mainstream
"Quantum Theory of Gravity", you could always change
the name of Wolter's to "Continuous Big BOUNCE" and
still keep the same initials! ("CB BLOOM" wouldn't do
because it's inconsistent with LQG.)

LQG's been around for awhile, BTW, starting back in
'86. SA is really reaching when it publishes a story on
quantum gravity. I love it. I still get SA here at the
house every month.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S. "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the
future."
Niels Bohr

P.P.S.: http://yummycake.secretsgolden.com
http://garden-of-ebooks.blogspot.com