Old November 20th 03, 03:36 AM
MrB

Default Telescope for Child

Since everyone hasn't used one, I'll give you my opinion as a newcomer to
astronomy. It is my first scope. I paid only $160. I think it is worth at
least that much. I would not get it for my eight year old. It is NOT easy
for a new user. It requires far more reading than what is in the instruction
manual, but there are many great resources on the web. It is good enough to
have snagged my interest and to advance to something bigger and better. I am
an urban viewer and don't have a very expansive view of the sky. I have
largely relied on pointing the scope to known objects. My personal database
of things in the sky has grown a lot as a result. I agree with some of the
other posts. Something simpler would be more satisfying.

"Vedo" wrote in message
m...
I am thinking of getting a Celestron 114gt for my 8 year old daughter.
Anyone have one of these and what do you think about it?

Thanks
Vedo