Old November 19th 03, 11:01 PM
Michael A. Covington

Default Telescope for Child

Ease of use is important for adults and *vital* for children. Get the
easiest-to-use telescope you can find. No computers, no equatorial mount.
(I don't recognize the one you describe, so I can't comment on it
specifically.)

Note that even a computerized telescope requires you to identify a number of
stars in order to set it up each time. It is not usable by a person with no
knowledge of the sky.

Which leads to the question -- Can your daughter point her finger at at
least 10 objects that she'd like to view through the telescope? (E.g., the
Orion Nebula.) If not, she won't be able to point a telescope at them
either.

Sorry to sound grumpy... I've seen lots of people get disappointed.
Exploring the sky with maps and binoculars is the best way to start.

--
Clear skies,

Michael Covington -- www.covingtoninnovations.com
and (new) How to Use a Computerized Telescope