Old June 1st 17, 01:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default Reusable Laser Launcher

Here we see why Fred lies so much. He looks at thing, and clearly, being of substandard intelligence, he is confused and it looks complicated and dangerous to HIM. lol. So, he concludes, "it is not a simple exercise" and vents his general hatred onto anyone who tries to tell him he's a freaking idiot.

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 6:19:22 AM UTC+12, Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Robert Clark" wrote:

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
.. .
================================================= ==========
So let's count up the ships with sufficient spare electrical capacity
to start sticking weapon grade lasers on them. We have ONE ZUMWALT
class (and one more building, which is the end of the class). We have
NO FORD class carriers yet. One is undergoing trials, one is under
contruction, and another is planned for delivery out in the 2020's. So
by the mid-2020's we'll have a whopping FIVE ships with sufficient
spare electrical power to load a bunch of combat lasers on them. For
everyone else, you're going to have to turn off half a megawatt worth
of existing systems to get the power to run a laser.
================================================= ==========

This article discusses the problem of the power level requirements:

US Navy will fire 150 kilowatt laser on a test ship in 2018 and then from
carriers and destroyers in 2019.
brian wang | January 26, 2017 |
http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/01...-laser-on.html

It may very well be that only the very largest ships will be able to field
the high power 150 kW lasers.

Still, I wonder if you can instead just combine three of the truck-carried
60 kW laser systems the Army wants to field:

That's essentially what's being done. They're combining two 75 kW
units that are technically very similar to the Army units. Combining
them is not a simple exercise, though, so you can't just stick several
of them on a ship and magically 'combine' them. And you still have to
power them.

US Army gets world record-setting 60-kW laser.
By: Jen Judson, March 16, 2017 (Photo Credit: Courtesy of Lockheed Martin)
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/...ing-60kw-laser

Note that they don't say how they're powering it or how many shots
it's good for before you need to 'recharge'. Given the cited power
levels and efficiency, you'd need around 150 kW to run it. You can
get that out of a dedicated generator, which will weigh around 4
tonnes plus fuel (which may explain why it's installed on a HEMTT and
not some other vehicle).

--George Bernard Shaw